At Southern Hills Hospital in Las Vegas, NV we offer a range of services in the field of gastroenterology. Gastroenterology refers to the practice of medicine that relates to the digestive system. Our gastroenterologists may treat problems with organs in the digestive system and disorders relating to the gastrointestinal tract. The gastrointestinal tract and digestive system are made up of:
- Small intestine
- Large intestine
Endobronchial ultrasound bronchoscopy (EBUS)
EBUS is a minimally invasive but highly effective procedure used to diagnose lung cancer, infections and other diseases causing enlarged lymph nodes in the chest. EBUS allows physicians to obtain tissue or fluid samples from the lungs and surrounding lymph nodes without conventional surgery. These samples can be used for diagnosing and staging lung cancer, detecting infections and identifying inflammatory diseases that affect the lungs.
During an endobronchial ultrasound:
- The physician can perform needle aspiration on lymph nodes using a bronchoscope inserted through the mouth
- A special endoscope fitted with an ultrasound processor and a fine-gauge aspiration needle is guided through the patient’s trachea
- No incisions are necessary
Benefits of EBUS:
- It provides real-time imaging of the surface of the airways, blood vessels, lungs and lymph nodes.
- The improved images allow the physician to easily view difficult-to-reach areas and to access smaller lymph nodes for biopsy with the aspiration needle than through a conventional mediatinoscopy.
- The accuracy and speed of the EBUS procedure lends itself to rapid onsite pathologic evaluation.
- EBUS is performed under moderate sedation or general anesthesia.
- Patients recover quickly and can usually go home the same day.
Single balloon enteroscopy
Single balloon eneteroscopy is a minimally invasive procedure that uses a hose-like scope that includes a balloon on the tip of the scope, which inflates as an anchor allowing the scope to delve further into the small intestine. With single balloon enterscopy, physicians can enter the gastrointestinal tract once and immediately reach the area in question.
Southern Hills Hospital is the first and only hospital to offer single balloon enteroscopy in Southern Nevada.
Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)
Our gastroenterology services include EUS, which combines endoscopy and ultrasound in order to obtain images and information about the digestive tract and the surrounding tissues and organs. In EUS, a small ultrasound transducer is installed on the tip of an endoscope. By inserting the endoscope into the upper or the lower digestive tract, physicians can obtain high quality ultrasound images of the organs inside the body.
EUS is performed on an outpatient basis at Southern Hills Hospital. You will be moderately or deeply sedated to help you relax. The procedure takes approximately 30 to 60 minutes. A recovery area is available to monitor vital signs until you are fully awake.
EUS provides your doctor with more information than other imaging tests by providing detailed images of your digestive tract. Your doctor can use EUS to diagnose certain conditions that may cause abdominal pain or abnormal weight loss.