COVID-19 and Pregnancy - An Update for our Patients
We would like to take this opportunity to update you about your maternity care during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, and assure you that our dedicated team of expert nurses, physicians and midwives are committed to providing safe and effective care to every patient who walks through our doors.
Having a baby is an exciting time of your life and a bit confusing if it’s your first child. A very important part of your planning is to decide where your baby will be born. Southern Hills Hospital in Las Vegas, NV provides a safe and compassionate experience for this special time for you and your family.
Southern Hills Hospital offers a 24/7 laborist program, which ensures that you and your baby have the specialized care you need when that special time comes. What is a laborist program?
- The laborist program provides qualified OB/GYN physicians to be at the hospital at all times.
- Should any emergencies arise, our laborist will be on the scene to care for you and your baby and assist your physician.
- Our laborist program is supported by Women’s Health Associates of Southern Nevada (WHASN).
Schedule your tour of Southern Hills Hospital today:
Labor and delivery care
Our childbirth suites are all private rooms. We offer a Level II NICU, family accommodations, security system, two dedicated operating suites, a lactation specialist and special amenities. Here is what you can expect when you choose Southern Hills Hospital.
- 24/7 laborist program
- Private labor, delivery and recovery suites
- 25 postpartum rooms
- 15-bed Level II intensive care nursery
- HUGS and Kisses infant security system
- Certified lactation consultant onsite
- Hospital-grade breast pump rentals
- Family-centered couplet care
- Two full service operating rooms
- Overnight accommodations for significant other
- Special cake and gift for family
- Compassionate staff
- Complimentary valet service
Online childbirth and parenting classes
Southern Hills Hospital offers online breastfeeding classes, prenatal classes, and mental health support group for moms.
Childbirth and breastfeeding classes
At Southern Hills Hospital, we want to be there as a support system before, during, and after your pregnancy. We offer a variety of classes for parents and families to help your entire family prepare for your child's arrival.
- Infant CPR Classes
- New Sibling Class
- Prenatal Breast Feeding Class
- Breast Feeding Support Group
- Childbirth Class
Prepared childbirth class
Do you have questions about what to expect when the time comes to deliver? We are happy to help! Join our live Prepared Childbirth Class. A nurse will answer questions and give guidelines on what you can expect. This class is offered on Southern Hills Hospital's Facebook.
Southern Hills Hospital is excited to welcome families into our labor and delivery unit. We believe visiting the place where you are planning to have your baby can help relieve some pre-birth anxiety and make your birthing experience more enjoyable. Southern Hills Hospital now has an international board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) onsite.
Take a virtual tour of our Women's Services Department here:
Learn more about our birthing and childbirth education classes or call (702) 916-5023 to sign up for a virtual tour.
- More than 60 percent of women experience food cravings.
- Morning sickness is your body rejecting toxins and chemicals that could harm the baby.
- Many women experience heightened senses of smell and taste.
Many women develop glowing skin. Changes are most apparent in your face, giving women a pregnancy glow.
- Your skin’s oil production rises and your blood volume increases by 50 percent.
Fetal development continues, your baby should hit the following benchmarks:
- Baby weighs two pounds by the end of the second trimester.
- You can hear the baby’s heartbeat with a stethoscope.
Expectant mothers may experience the following changes in their bodies:
- Relaxation of the tendons in your feet can cause you to go up a shoe size.
- Pressure from baby’s growth may cause indigestion or heartburn.
As your child continues to grow, your baby should develop in the following ways:
- Rhythmic breathing movements even before the lungs are fully mature.
- Baby moves into a head-down position, preparing for birth.
The big day
95 percent of babies are born within two weeks of their due date. Here are some items to keep in mind when packing your hospital bag.
- Picture ID, insurance card and money
- Birth plan
- Bathrobe, nightgown and slippers
- Comfortable clothes and shoes
- Car seat