Having a baby is an exciting time of your life and a bit confusing if it’s your first child. A very important part of your planning is to decide where your baby will be born. Southern Hills Hospital in Las Vegas, NV provides a safe and compassionate experience for this special time for you and your family.
Southern Hills Hospital offers a 24/7 laborist program, which ensures that you and your baby have the specialized care you need when that special time comes. What is a laborist program?
- The laborist program provides qualified OB/GYN physicians to be at the hospital at all times.
- Should any emergencies arise, our laborist will be on the scene to care for you and your baby and assist your physician.
- Our laborist program is supported by Women’s Health Associates of Southern Nevada (WHASN).
For questions, please call our labor and delivery unit at (702)916-7070.
Labor and delivery care
Our childbirth suites are all private rooms. We offer a Level II NICU, family accommodations, security system, two dedicated operating suites, a lactation specialist and special amenities. Here is what you can expect when you choose Southern Hills Hospital.
- 24/7 laborist program
- Private labor, delivery and recovery suites
- 25 postpartum rooms
- 15-bed Level II intensive care nursery
- HUGS and Kisses infant security system
- Certified lactation consultant onsite
- Hospital-grade breast pump rentals
- Family-centered couplet care
- Two full service operating rooms
- Overnight accommodations for significant other
- Special cake and gift for family
- Compassionate staff
- Complimentary valet service
- Sunny Babies program for those needing assistance
Free tours are available at your convenience. Please call (702)916-5023 to register for a Saturday tour or to schedule an appointment.
Childbirth and breastfeeding classes
Southern Hills Hospital now has an international board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) onsite.
At Southern Hills Hospital, we offer a number of childbirth and breastfeeding classes to help you prepare for your child’s arrival. We recommend completing your classes by your eighth month (32 weeks) of pregnancy. Our classes include:
- Childbirth preparation classes
- Breastfeeding support group
9300 W Sunset Rd., Exit 17
Sunset West off I-215
- More than 60 percent of women experience food cravings.
- Morning sickness is your body rejecting toxins and chemicals that could harm the baby.
- Many women experience heightened senses of smell and taste.
Many women develop glowing skin. Changes are most apparent in your face, giving women a pregnancy glow.
- Your skin’s oil production rises and your blood volume increases by 50 percent.
Fetal development continues, your baby should hit the following benchmarks:
- Baby weighs two pounds by the end of the second trimester.
- You can hear the baby’s heartbeat with a stethoscope.
Expectant mothers may experience the following changes in their body’s:
- Relaxation of the tendons in your feet can cause you to go up a shoe size.
- Pressure from baby’s growth may cause indigestion or heartburn.
As your child continues to grow, your baby should develop in the following ways:
- Rhythmic breathing movements even before the lungs are fully mature.
- Baby moves into a head-down position, preparing for birth.
The big day
95 percent of babies are born within two weeks of their due date. Here are some items to keep in mind when packing your hospital bag.
- Picture ID, insurance card and money
- Birth plan
- Bathrobe, nightgown and slippers
- Comfortable clothes and shoes
- Car seat