Experienced psychiatrists in Las Vegas, Nevada
The Pavilion at Southern Hills Hospital and Medical Center is dedicated to providing behavioral health services from experienced, compassionate providers in inpatient and outpatient settings. We empower patients by helping them develop coping mechanisms designed to improve their daily life skills through individualized health programs specifically tailored to fit each of our patient's unique needs.
With specialized programs for adolescents, adults and seniors, we have the resources to support and improve your mental and physical health and promote recovery.
If you think you or a loved one could benefit from inpatient or outpatient behavioral health services, call us 24/7 at (702) 916-5100.
Comprehensive behavioral health services
The Pavilion at Southern Hills Hospital is an 80-bed inpatient unit dedicated to the treatment of behavioral health needs for patients 12 years old and older. The Pavilion, which is attached to the hospital, opened in March 2019 and spans over 45,000 square feet.
Some of the specialized behavioral health services we offer include:
- Adolescent mental health inpatient services
- Adult mental health inpatient services
- Electroconvulsive therapy
- Outpatient mental health services
- Senior behavioral health inpatient services
- Telebehavioral health services
Our inpatient programs
The Pavilion's approach to care involves the patient and their family or support system. All of our inpatient programs begin by building a community of support around each patient as soon as they enter our care.
Upon admission to the program, patients undergo a comprehensive psychiatric and physical assessment, after which an individual behavioral health treatment plan is developed.
Treatment plans may include:
- Family counseling
- Group therapy services: We offer seven group sessions daily
- Nutritional counseling
- Physical, recreational and/or occupational therapy
- Relapse prevention
We offer daily visitation and encourage participation in care planning. With the patient's permission, their support system will be as involved as much as they would like.
Conditions that may benefit from inpatient behavioral health services
Our experienced and compassionate staff treat a wide range of behavioral and mental health conditions in our inpatient setting, including:
- Anxiety disorders
- Behavioral issues related to Alzheimer's disease
- Bipolar disorders
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Post-partum depression
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Schizoaffective disorder
Our child and teen inpatient mental health program
Our child and teen mental health program is designed for patients, between 12 to 17 years old, who need hospitalization for behavioral and mental health conditions and offers new strategies to help them cope and live more healthy and balanced lives.
Our adult inpatient mental health program
We offer an inpatient mental health program for adults, ages 18 and older, who are facing mental and emotional challenges. Whether patients need crisis intervention, assistance with managing a mental disorder or guidance through life's transitions, we're here to help.
Our senior inpatient behavioral health program
We offer an inpatient mental health program for older adults and seniors where we treat patients who may be experiencing challenging emotional situations in addition to medical conditions. Our team is dedicated to helping our senior patients manage their emotions so they can live fuller, happier lives.
Our safe and comforting inpatient environment
The Pavilion offers an environment that is comforting and filled with natural light. Our amenities include a comfort room on each unit, outdoor recreation courtyards and a cafeteria for patients.
We are also committed to patient safety. The Pavilion features industry-leading patient tracking and safety systems to ensure a safe environment of care, including:
- Alarms on top of the doors to detect weight
- Anti-ligature/ligature prevention technology
- Laser curtains in the adolescent unit between beds
- Real-time location systems
Our outpatient programs remain open as we are taking every precaution to keep our physicians, staff and patients safe by following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) guidelines. We are also proud to offer patients an alternative to in-person therapy through our telebehavioral health program.
Our outpatient mental health services
The Pavilion at Southern Hills Hospital offers an Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) that provides structured outpatient therapy. Our program is designed to support and maintain mental and emotional health while providing patients with the necessary tools to achieve mental well-being in an outpatient setting.
Our IOP empowers patients to explore individual growth and heal within a group setting by participating in nine sessions of group therapy per week. The IOP provides comprehensive psychiatric care, which is overseen by a board-certified psychiatrist.
We offer in-person and virtual IOP for teens and adults with the following programs:
- A teen track for people 12 to 17 years old
- An adult track for people ages 18 and older
Treatment plans for patients in our IOP may include the following:
- Family/support system inclusion
- Goal setting
- Group therapy by a licensed clinician
- Individualized treatment plans
- Psychoeducation and process groups
- Social/communication skills
- Stress management
Conditions treated and managed at our IOP
Our IOP was designed to help patients experiencing the following:
- Anger management difficulties
- Behavioral and/or emotional difficulties
- Mood instability
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Psychiatric disorders
Our telebehavioral program
We offer a telebehavioral health program where we provide expert clinical care and group therapy to patients who are unable or uncomfortable receiving treatment in person. Our program involves the WebEx Meetings application and an easy-to-use and secure platform, which is Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act- (HIPAA) compliant.
Some aspects of our telebehavioral health program include:
- An evaluation for appropriateness, which includes will training and set-up for patients
- Ensuring our patients' confidentiality with informed consent for treatment
- Establishing a plan for psychiatric emergencies that may present during a telehealth visit, which is reviewed with each patient before each session
Patients using the virtual group setting need:
- Ability to download the WebEx Meetings app
- Ability to navigate the platform
- Access to laptop, tablet or mobile device
- Cell data or Wi-Fi access
Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) is a safe, quick and painless clinical treatment that can improve certain mental illnesses. ECT has been studied for decades with numerous clinical research trials validating its efficacy and safety and is one of the most effective therapies available.
An ECT treatment typically lasts less than 60 seconds and is performed by our specially trained team, which includes a psychiatrist, an anesthesiologist and a registered nurse. The treatment is done under anesthesia, in which small electric currents are passed through the brain, intentionally triggering a brief seizure. This brief seizure causes changes in brain chemistry, which can provide relief from psychiatric symptoms.
ECT is given as a course of treatments. The number needed to successfully treat severe depression ranges from case to case. Even after symptoms improve, it is likely that ongoing treatment to prevent a recurrence will be needed. Ongoing treatment, known as maintenance therapy, can include ECT, antidepressants and or other psychiatric medications and/or psychotherapy.
Candidates for ECT
People who may benefit from ECT include:
- People who are 18 years or older
- People who are in need of a rapid, definitive response because of the severity of a psychiatric or medical condition
- People who have had multiple hospitalizations and regress rapidly into crisis
- People who have not responded to conventional treatment such as medications and therapy
- People with severe depression, mania, catatonia and schizophrenia
If you think you or someone you know could benefit from ECT, please reach out to us for more information at (702) 916-5100. To ensure a smooth process for both physician and patient referrals, our ECT nurse navigator is available every step of the way.
Our mental healthcare providers
Our behavioral health services are provided by an experienced and compassionate team who work with your support system of family and friends throughout your journey.
Our mental healthcare providers include:
- Mental health counselors
- Social workers
“Southern Hills Hospital is one of the finest hospital experiences I've had. While the buildings and facilities are nice, that's not what I'm talking about. It is the employees that made and make the difference.” – patient testimonial